Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Purpose Driven Life

Rick Warren's bestseller, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?, found its way into my library queue after several years of procrastination. I'm not particularly religious, but I was sufficiently curious to pick the book up and see what Warren has to say.

While obviously, this book would speak far more profoundly to an active Christian than to a secular humanist, I thought it was a pretty accurate representation of what it means to be a Christian and how being a Christian can give your life purpose, meaning and dignity no matter how small your talents or capacities. If you're interested in the Christian faith or what churchy-folk believe, it's not a bad place to start, though it's not really written as a conversion text, but more as a galvanizing book for those already somewhat familiar with Christian principles.

It's not for everyone and since I don't read Christian literature all that often, I can't speak to how it compares to other Christian texts. But it's well-written and those far more spiritually wise than me seem to like it.

No comments: